Monday, April 10, 2006

Wealth distribution


So, half the people own 2.8% of the wealth. More than half the wealth is owned by just 5% of the people.

Do you think that this is a fair distribution of wealth? Do you think people get about what they deserve in the US?

Let's just better understand what we're talking about here. If we took less than 10% of the wealth from just the richest 1% of Americans, we could instantly double the amount of money of half the country -- everyone with one house suddenly has two, everyone with two cars suddenly has four. I'm not recommending doing this, but it does illustrate what a rich country we are. The richest 1% would barely notice the loss, but 150 million Americans would be celebrating the windfall of a lifetime.


Yesterday I tried a kiwiberry, and it was so good! They look like something like slightly oversized grapes, but when you bite them the inside looks like a little skinless kiwi, though the taste is sweeter. So yummy! But expensive.

Also yesterday I ate at Sushi-ko, which I must say is probably the best sushi I've had in DC (and second to Sushi Samba, the best sushi I've ever had!). It's not cheap, and the place is small and not well decorated, but after eating so much sushi that is more or less the same wherever I go, this is a large step above. My review: yumyum!

If you want to sign P!nk's petition to KFC asking them to stop the worst abuses of animals (boiling birds alive, burning off their beaks, and such), you can do so here, signing using your mouse, which is fun.

4 comments:

Evil Genius said...

what did you have at the sushi joing and why was it so good. Need details!

Evil Genius said...

joint not joing

Noam said...

I just got their vegetable combo, or whatever it was called. There was a mushroom sushi that was just so good, I don't know if the mushrooms were grilled or what. And there was a seaweed-rice-edamame salad, just a shotglass full, but I don't know what they put in there to make it so yummy. I don't know, it was just good, I don't know how they did it. To be picky, the mushroom soup was too earthy for me, and the carrot sushi was just normal. But I was still impressed.

Evil Genius said...

I would like to take you to Kawasaki in Baltimore but they shut down because they were using illegal immigrant labor and not paying them, or something. dammit!
They had tempura battered yam rolls, and this one that had all of this stuff in it and a tempura battered onion on top with a dab of hot sauce... mmmmmmm